With the colder weather unfortunately upon us here in Albany, there is a strong chance that any rodents like squirrels, mice or rats are looking for winter homes to protect them from the cold weather coming.
Your home might become their target destination for their winter home if you are not properly addressing any vulnerabilities that might exist. Colder weather will bring cockroaches, spiders and rodents into your home at an alarming rate and we highly recommend you take steps to ensure your home is not one of them that sees an infestation.
Here are a handful of tips you can start implementing right away to protect your home:
1) Be sure to put screens over any of your vents in your attic, we are chimney, or any place where electrical wiring for cable wiring might enter your home. The same goes for your dryer vent, especially if it is mounted on a wall close to the ground.
2) work diligently to ensure that your basement, your attic or any crawl spaces are dry and ventilated well to prevent mold or access by rodents. What you don’t realize is any of these pastors are attracted to moisture which is how they will find a way to survive through the winter. It would be a good idea to consider using a high-quality dehumidifier in your garage, crawlspaces or basements to ensure they are dry before the extreme cold weather comes
3) visually inspect the foundation of your house and seal up any cracks or crevices with high-grade caulk mixed with steel wool. You likely have utility pipes that come into your house and be sure that every single crack or crevice is completely covered up.
4) with regards to inside of your home, make sure that your kitchen counters remain clear and free of food, make sure your floors are swept well and in sure that you were garbage is taken out every other day so no smells or food morsels can be found by rodents.
5) inspect all of the weatherstripping around your home and repair it as well as any mortar that might be loose around your foundation and your windows. Even the smallest of cracks are vulnerable to small mice that can gain access to your home.
If you were concerned about any rodent infestation that you might be experiencing this fall, be sure to call a professional pest control company in Albany like All Star Pest Solutions.
If you want to find out some reasons that pests love your basement, check out our last post here.